PRAGUE — Trent Alexander-Arnold and Thomas Tuchel’s tumultuous relationship is fascinating.
Tuchel would seemingly rather have given Paul Parker a spot as back-up full-back in his World Cup squad. As several options pulled out before and during the tournament, it appeared the German had no choice but to include the Real Madrid defender for the first time. But no.
Then, when all seemed pleasant and amicable between the pair, back in the international fold for a bumper Nations League schedule, Alexander-Arnold did not get on the pitch for a second in defeat by Spain, with centre-back Jarell Quansah preferred at right-back.
Whether he had much choice given England’s full-back injury situation, Tuchel did resist the temptation to deploy Alexander-Arnold from the off against Czech Republic, earning the 27-year-old his first cap in 716 days and his first appearance under Tuchel.
The relationship hit the rocks again after 45 minutes to forget in Prague. Against 10 men following Pavel Sulc’s early dismissal, England’s star-studded right flank offered next to no threat, with Bukayo Saka as impotent as his illustrious team-mate behind him.
Had Tuchel seen enough? Was this vindication for Alexander-Arnold’s World Cup snub? The German did not relent, however, and hooked neither of the right-sided pair at the break.
Sixty-eight seconds after the interval, the Tuchel-Alexander-Arnold dynamic found a much-needed spark – one that could see the bond strengthen long into the future.
With one sweeping cross onto the head of Anthony Gordon, Alexander-Arnold provided a welcome reminder of exactly why he is regarded in some circles as one of the best attacking full-backs in world football.
England needed inspiration. The depleted Czechs were hardly under the cosh. A moment of brilliance was required. And, in a creative sense, Alexander-Arnold jogged everyone’s memory, Tuchel’s included, in a way few others in world football can.
“It’s up there for sure,” Alexander-Arnold said of his cross for Gordon’s opener. Quite the claim when you consider such vision is his modus operandi.
“I spoke to Ant at half-time and said if I get into those half-spaces I’m looking to put it in, so make sure you get to the back post. I didn’t expect it to work so quickly. He’s a willing runner, great to play with him. I saw the run and was able to execute the pass.
“It’s always a pleasure and an honour to represent my country. It’s been a long time. I’ve always believed that I can play for England and I want to. The manager’s given me the opportunity and I tried to do what he wanted me to do to the best of my ability and I hope he’s happy with how I played.”
For the remainder of the second period, those cutting Trent passes were back in vogue, the line-breaking pick-outs that can turn defence into attack in the blink of an eye.
On another day, Alexander-Arnold would have notched another assist or two. The question on everyone’s lips upon the final whistle at the Fortuna Arena was whether another day will come any time soon.
Read more
The perennial Reece James injury and Tino Livramento’s setback give Alexander-Arnold, who is similarly yet to cement a first-team place at club level, a golden opportunity over the next few weeks.
It is safe to say Quansah did not exactly shine against Spain. He got forward into the same attacking areas in which Alexander-Arnold can be so devastating, but he does not possess his team-mate’s laser accuracy.
With two more Nations League games to come, Alexander-Arnold is likely to get at least one more start. Further reminders of his otherworldly attacking talents from deep and the transition from outcast to key figure will be complete.
from Football - The i Paper https://ift.tt/Vo8cGiM
GORDON 


Post a Comment