Danny Mills: I wish I’d been on the line for Ronaldinho’s free-kick

My Sporting Life is The i Paper’s look behind the curtain at what drives sports stars to greatness. This week, former England, Charlton Athletic and Leeds United right-back Danny Mills details the core pillars of a professional mindset and reflects on a distinguished playing career.

I was determined to make it as a footballer

I was never the greatest talent-wise, so I worked incredibly hard at my strengths, worked incredibly hard at my weaknesses, understood what I was okay at, what I wasn’t so good at and worked around that.

My career was purely based on hard work, determination, and dedication, and for me, that’s almost the perfect example that you don’t have to be the greatest.

Those attributes can get you a long way in life.

The best piece of advice I received?

We were told we had to have three things back in the day, the three Ds – desire, determination and dedication.

If you’ve got those three things, you will be successful because everything leads off the back of those. Okay, you need a little bit of talent. But once you’re in a professional environment, you’ve clearly got a little bit of talent.

That’s all it comes down to, you know, the harder you work, the more you get out of life. The more you put in, the more you get out. That’s it.

SAITAMA, JAPAN - June 2: England Team Group (br) Emile Heskey, Sol Campbell, David Seaman, Rio Ferdinand, Danny Mills, Michael Owen, (fr) Darius Vassell, Owen Hargreaves, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Ashley Cole before the FIFA World Cup Finals 2002 Group F match between England and Sweden at Saitama Stadium on June 2, 2002 in Saitama, Japan. (Photo by Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto/Allstar via Getty Images)
Danny Mills started for England at the 2002 World Cup (Photo: Getty)

You are a product of your environment

I was very fortunate to have very good youth team coaches when I was young.

Gordon Bennett, God rest his soul, was our youth development officer at Norwich City. He was very passionate and very fierce, very much a disciplinarian, as was Keith Webb, our youth team coach, and again it was all about hard work and doing your job.

I used to have to sweep the floors, make the tea, pick up kit, and it had to be immaculate. It has nothing to do with football whatsoever, but it teaches you an awful lot of things about yourself. So I think having that that discipline and that push early on from those coaches was one of the reasons I made it.

David Ginola gave me an absolute torrid time

On his day he was unplayable. Back then left wingers were generally left-footed, went down the outside, crossed it. Ginola twisted me inside out a couple of times because he could go both ways.

He was two-footed. He was 6ft 4in. He was good in the air. He was strong. He was quick. He was powerful.

You didn’t know which way he was going to go, and that made him incredibly difficult to play against. I didn’t know whether to kick him or cuddle him. I was like a lost puppy in a few of those games.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I’d have got myself on the goal line for Ronaldinho’s free-kick and headed it away, knowing that was coming. Would I do things differently if I had my time again? Of course you would, that’s learning.

SHIZUOKA - JUNE 21: David Seaman of England can only watch in horror as an amazing free-kick from Ronaldinho of Brazil goes in to the net for the winning goal during the FIFA World Cup Finals 2002 Quarter Finals match played at the Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa, in Shizuoka, Japan on June 21, 2002. Brazil won the match 2-1. DIGITAL IMAGE. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)
The lob that ended England’s 2002 dream (Photo: Getty)

But do I regret anything? No. I made decisions at the time that I thought were the right decisions for the knowledge that I had then in that moment, and I still stand by that.

So I don’t have any regrets of the career that I had. Making my England debut was my proudest moment. No one can ever take that away from you.

I was absolutely fine until 27 – then broke my leg

Professional sport takes a toll on the body. Don’t get me wrong, it’s the best job in the world, and I wouldn’t swap it for anything. But the wear and tear eventually catches up with you.

Derby County took me on loan with the idea to sign me permanently. That was the season they finished on 11 points. If I’d stayed, they might’ve survived.

That first year after retirement was hard. I threw myself into everything – marathons, Ironman, triathlons. I probably pushed my body a bit too far.

Read more

Daniel Storey: 27 things that have fried my brain since Man City’s verdict

Pete Hall: Yes, Man City broke the rules. But the rules are also a nonsense

I blew my knee out running the London Marathon

I wanted to break the record for the fastest ex-Premier League player which was three hours and six minutes from Christian Dailly, who used to play for West Ham. I was absolutely bang on pace. Bear in mind, I think I’d done six or seven at this point.

Got to halfway and thought perfect, we are cruising here. My knee was a bit sore but I didn’t think anything of it. I should’ve known then that something wasn’t quite right.

By the time I got to 16 miles, my knee exploded. Stupidly, I tried to run it off. The pain was unbelievable, certainly worse than anything I experienced in my playing days.

Danny Mills knows better than most what years at top-flight football can do to the body. Like many ex-professionals, persistent knee pain became part of everyday life after retirement, until he explored Arthrosamid, a non-surgical injectable treatment designed to relieve knee osteoarthritis pain.



from Football - The i Paper https://ift.tt/5B7orEi

Post a Comment

[blogger]

MKRdezign

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

copyright webdailytips. Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget